Have you seen this thing? Wow! It feels like a parody of the stereotypical Prius driver: smug and self-righteous. In fact, it wouldn’t be out of place on an episode of Portlandia. Yet, it’s a real ad, and apparently sincere. I have a few thoughts…
- That kid, let’s call him Soy Boy, gives me the creeps. Not unlike a person who’s under the spell of a cult, or a fundamentalist religion. Probably because he is.
- The self-satisfied parents, peering out the window at the little translucent weirdo they’ve created, should be concerned about the future — when Soy Boy rebels and becomes a junkie. Or, even worse, a Republican.
- I would be far less disturbed by a fat dumpling child sitting on the couch with his mannary glands covered in Cheeto dust, a Playstation controller wedged into his plump wienerwurst fingers, whining, “Daaaaad, I don’t wanna wash the car right now… Gawd!” Because that’s normal.
- Soy Boy has a bucket, but only sits on it while waiting for the goddess to send him some rain. When she finally delivers, he doesn’t use soap or anything of the sort. Presumably because his parents have taught him it will lead to The Day After Tomorrow, and/or heartbroken polar bears. So, he just takes a recycled spermicidal sponge and smears the filth around.
- I’m almost certain that’s fake rain, which means they wasted a shitload of water while chasing profits from people who want to preserve water.
- Wonder if Soy Boy could wash an entire Prius with his tears, while navigating the guilt, shame, and confusion of his everyday life?
For the record, I have no problem with hybrids. It’s just a segment of the hybrid-owners who rub me the wrong way: the “we’re better than you are” crowd. I know folks who bought hybrids to cut down on the amount of gas they use — for economic reasons. I certainly have no issue with that. And even if it’s about the environment… that’s cool. It’s just the smugness, ya know?
Do you have any opinions about this commercial? Can you physically refrain from shouting, “Give me a freaking break!” or “Oh, fuck off!” whenever it comes on? I can’t. If my mouth was taped shut, “fuck off!” would probably come out of my tear ducts somehow.
Let me know your thoughts, and have a great day, my friends.